Kids’ Fundraiser Quilts + A New Machine

Recently Jorge and I took on a fun contract sewing job for a school!

It’s a local day school for ages 2-5. Every year the students all make blocks, which get turned into quilts for auction at their annual fundraiser. Each quilt combines the work of one class.

A friend who teaches art classes there reached out for help with the project. Our job was to sew together the blocks with the provided sashing. It was several weeks of marathon sewing and delivering tops. The quilts were tied and bound by the school’s director, so we could focus on cranking out tops.

We made five out of a total of eight. It was so cool to see all the work that these little kids did for the blocks! We had lots of laughs as we sewed up the rows. Little bee quilters in the making. 🙂









This was the first project I worked on with my new-to-me Bernina 910. This machine belonged to my friend and coworker who passed away last Fall. Emily was a wonderful mentor to me when I started sewing. She was incredibly smart and passionate about sewing, art and education. I think that she would get a big kick out of this project and all the creativity coming from the little ones.

The machine’s original table was MIA, so I outfitted it with this shiny new SewSteady. I was surprised at how easy it was to fix up the table situation. The original part runs on eBay for about twice the cost of the SewSteady!


I just got the machine – and the Bernette serger that also came to live with me – serviced and cleaned. I’m going to try to attempt some garment sewing… we’ll see what happens!


One thought on “Kids’ Fundraiser Quilts + A New Machine

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s